Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Chausson Flash 14 not starting

Chausson Flash 14 not starting 4 months 4 weeks ago #9100

• winif1
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi
Just bought a 2011 Chausson Flash 14 and drove 150 miles with no issues. Parked for a few days and did have heater/fan on without EHU. Cannot start engine as appears Starter battery is flat and lights etc won't now work off leisure battery. Also when I attempted to start a second time, the 'Engine Malfunction warning notice' appeared.Have hooked up now, but still cannot start. Starter battery is flashing on panel but lights will not work when not hooked up. Would the heater/lights have drained both leisure and starter battery and is this simply a drained battery issue.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chausson Flash 14 not starting 4 months 4 weeks ago #9101

• Hobbyt600
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I’m guessing that your Chausson Flash 14 has a diesel-fuelled air-heater (made by Webasto?) If that’s correct, the12V power-supply to that heater will probably come from the vehicle’s starter-battery, whereas the 12V power-supply for other ‘habitation’ electrical equipment (reading lights, water-pump, etc.) will come from the leisure battery. Consequently, as you’ve been running the heater for several days without the starter-battery being charged, it would not be surprising that the starter-battery is flat.

I’m doubtful that a Flash 14’s onboard battery-charger would charge up a heavily discharged starter-battery - I think you’ll need to charge that battery directly using a separate charger.

If the leisure-battery has also become heavily discharged, you’d need to be connected to an EHU (with the onboard charger running of course) for a fair amount of time to raise that battery’s charge-state well up. There’s also the possibility that the leisure-battery could be in poor condition so that, even if it can accept a charge, it may not be able to retain it.

First thing to do is to get plenty of charge into the starter-battery. If you are lucky that will clear the “Engine Malfunction” warning and allow the motor to be started. The original starter-batteries fitted to Ford Transits are pretty tough and long-lasting, so even though it has been flattened, it might recover.

If the leisure battery is original (ie. 7 years old) it may well need replacement.
Last Edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Hobbyt600.

Chausson Flash 14 not starting 4 months 4 weeks ago #9102

• winif1
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much. I put the engine battery on charge for app 1 hr and was able to start ,so have left running. I will replace both batteries as it's probably best to do so. Good to know that the heater is fed from engine battery. Once again, Many thanks

Chausson Flash 14 not starting 4 months 4 weeks ago #9103

• Hobbyt600
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
What I actually said was “...the 12V power-supply to that heater will PROBABLY come from the vehicle’s starter-battery” but that was just a guess based on the fact that you had been running the heater for a few days with the motorhome off EHU and then found that the vehicle’s motor could not be started.

As the heater’s installation would have been part of the conversion process, Chausson may actually have chosen to power the heater electrically from the leisure-battery. This would make good sense as, even if the heater flattened the leisure-battery, the motorhome’s engine could still be started.

It should be fairly straightforward to decide whhich battery powers the heater - charge up both batteries well and confirm that the heater runs, and then disconnect the leisure-battery. If the heater will no longer run you’d know that the leisure-battery is the heater’s 12V power source - and if the heater will still run wth the leisure-battery disconnected, then the starter-battery is the source (probably).

Most recent motorhome reviews