Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing?

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 2 weeks ago #6588

• Ukjon
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Having trawled the net, I think I already know the answer and it's a disappointing one!

However, your experience and knowledge is worth far more to me. So in a nutshell, is there a satnav out there that does what it says on the tin for motorhomers?

I get the impression that sat nav's designed for 'Truckers' are better at guiding you along the straight and not so narrow than those (apparently) designed for motorhomers and caravaners??

Am looking for something to back up my maps and sixth sense...........

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 2 weeks ago #6589

• TonyJones
  • Husband, father, minister, MOTORHOMER!
  • Thank you received: 104
Good question Jonathan.
We got a Garmin at the NEC show which seems to do the job (so far). Can't remember the number but I'll have a look when I go out to the van.
It has provision to input the van's dimensions, and occasionally flashes up "motorhome accessibility not known" on minor roads I've chosen myself.
It comes preloaded with Caravan Club, ACSI and Motorhome Fun locations (not sure what they are as you have to pay to join, but the ones I've driven past so far seem to be car parks or pubs).
Voluntary Moderator (but all opinions are my own!)
Home-from-home: 2008 Horizons Unlimited Cavarno, Ford Transit SWB
"If God had intended us to fly, He wouldn't have given us motorhomes!"

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 2 weeks ago #6605

• Ukjon
  • Junior Boarder
Morning Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

You may have the 760 - but am sure you will tell me!

Garmin units seem most popular and probably for good reason. Always used them on my motorcycles when touring Europe and in the main, did what it said on the tin.

However, with the sat nav's labelled for 'caravan/motorhome' use, once dimensions of your vehicle have been inputed - seems they can and do direct you down roads that you wanted to avoid. There was a post somewhere that said they work better if you actually input slightly larger dimensions that that of your caravan/motorhome................

Not sure how true that is?

Kind Regards

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 2 weeks ago #6606

• gjh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
We've had the Garmin Camper 760 for about a year and like it but nothing is perfect so I'm currently evaluating a TomTom Pro Truck 5150 and a Mio Combo 5207 against it.

The TomTom Pro Truck 5150 is no longer available new - I was given it by TomTom in exchange for a Trucker 5000 that I bought and found to be useless (long story). I wouldn't recommend any of the TomTom NAV4 range (see complaints on TomTom forum).

The Mio seems to be pretty good so far and can be had on eBay at good prices from time to time but I've only just started the evaluation so I would go for a Garmin at the moment (some Aldi stores still have the Camper 660 at £199.99).

As regards roads that you may want to avoid, it sometimes depends on the driver. Sat navs we have used have sent us down roads that we would prefer not to use but they are bus routes so really are perfectly usable. In some areas (Norfolk for example) it is sometimes difficult to avoid narrow roads.

Graham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ukjon

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 2 weeks ago #6608

• Ukjon
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Graham,

Motorhome have ordered comes with its own built in sat nav - although cannot input your veh dimensions or weights etc. So may stick with that, some good maps and a little common sense - although imagine the 760 will have superior screen, graphics and features....................

Regards

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 1 week ago #6610

• TonyJones
  • Husband, father, minister, MOTORHOMER!
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Jonathan, sorry to be so long getting back to you - but we're in Norfolk just now, so connections are a bit tricky!
Yes, it Is the 760 we've got. Actually used it this weekend to find a particular Caravan Club CL (don't tell anyone, we're not members!).
It does have a bit of a habit of using minor roads as shortcuts, but always respects the vehicle dimensions I've given it. Personally, I prefer that to my previuos TomTom, which had a bit of an obsession with dual carriageways - it would take me on quite long detours just to be able to use a bit of motorway!
It boils down to the fact that they're just computers, each with their own programming peculiarities.
Voluntary Moderator (but all opinions are my own!)
Home-from-home: 2008 Horizons Unlimited Cavarno, Ford Transit SWB
"If God had intended us to fly, He wouldn't have given us motorhomes!"

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 1 week ago #6612

• gjh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
TonyJones wrote:
It boils down to the fact that they're just computers, each with their own programming peculiarities.
Absolutely, Tony, like all computers they are only tools and like all tools must be used properly and wisely :)
The difference of programming peculiarities (plus an unexpected windfall) is the reason why I am comparing models from different manufacturers at the moment. Most of the time they use the same route (especially where motorways and dual carriageways are obvious choices) but diverge on occasion where more minor roads are concerned, prompting the navigator (me) to check which is best.

Graham

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 1 week ago #6621

• Ukjon
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Tony

Regards

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 1 week ago #6622

• Ukjon
  • Junior Boarder
Morning Graham,

So what is the best one you are testing, so far?

Thanks

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 9 months 1 week ago #6624

• Canarycity
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We have a Snooper and its been good, you just input your motor home size and away you go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ukjon

Most recent motorhome reviews