Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mini-Heki DIY repair

Mini-Heki DIY repair 4 years 10 months ago #2958

• TonyJones
  • Husband, father, retired minister, MOTORHOMER!
  • Thank you received: 159

Am I just heavy-handed, or is the mechanism of the internal frame of these things particularly fragile?
After five trouble-free years, I've had the same issue twice now. The internal frame of a Mini-Heki includes the corrugated blind & flyscreen, each of which you just pull across manually. There's a system of four strings inside the frame which keeps everything smooth and even.
I heard a crack while operating it, and found one of these strings hanging loose, diagonally across the opening. The internal frame is just clipped in place, so I popped it off to have a look. Turns out each string is kept in place by two plastic tabs, which are moulded as part of the leading bars of the blind and flyscreen. It was one of these tabs which had broken off.
In spite of the frame having numerous removable moving parts, turns out you can only buy the whole frame, so I couldn't buy a replacement for the actual broken bit. So I started looking for a way to "fix" it. Sure enough, I found a place where I could run a piece of wire round the plastic bar, to anchor the string exactly where the plastic tab used to hold it. Clipped the frame back in place, and Bob's your uncle.
A little while later the same thing happened again. at first, i assumed my repair hadn't been so wonderful after all, but when I removed the frame again I found my bit of wire still in place and doing its job. It was another plastic tab, off another corner, which had broken!
So today I've doen the same fix on that second corner, and all seems fine again.
Call me a cheapskate, but I resent being asked to pay out for a whole expensive bit of kit just because the manufacturers choose not to sell parts separately. If anyone has the same problem, and wants a more detailed description I'll quite happily e-mail it - just ask on here. You don't need to publish your e-m address, as a Mod I can access that (but of course I don't, unless you ask me to!).
Voluntary Moderator (but all opinions are my own!)
2005 Bürstner Privilège Citroen
"If God had intended us to fly, He wouldn't have given us motorhomes!"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mini-Heki DIY repair 4 years 10 months ago #2959

• gjh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72

Well done Tony. I hate not being able to buy simple spares as well. Do we see a manufacturing and marketing opportunity arising to boost the Essex economy?

Mini-Heki DIY repair 4 years 10 months ago #2960

• TonyJones

Hmmm . hadn't thought of that Graham.
But I DO get annoyed when manufactures not only use non-repairable plastic for "structural" components, but also refuse to let you buy the broken bit on its own, even though it's removable!
Pauline (PJay, over on the "dark side") suggested I e-mail the  manufacturers, which I've done (even though they're now in Sweden). Won't hold my breath though!

Mini-Heki DIY repair 3 years 3 months ago #5228

• portchieboy
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Tony

Sorry,I am on the dark side, a caravan, but have the same issue.

As you say, one of the tabs on the 'blind' side has broken, but on taking the unit down, both strings pinged out. Can you let me have any details you have please, maybe if you have a pic of the repair,and of how the strings thread?

Forever in your debt!!!

Mini-Heki DIY repair 3 years 3 months ago #5230

• TonyJones
Hi Mike, welcome.
And don't put yourself down, caravanning isn't the "dark side," just a different choice! I was referring to another forum altogether.
It's a while since I did this repair, so as soon as I have time (later in the week) I'll have another look to refresh my memory, and try to photograph the setup. As a Mod, I can access the e-m address you registered with, is it ok if I use it for this?
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by TonyJones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: portchieboy

Mini-Heki DIY repair 3 years 3 months ago #5232

• Flicka
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Rather than you being heavy handed Tony, I suspect they have gone brittle in the sun especially as you are regulars to the hotter climes a la France.
Flicka

Mini-Heki DIY repair 3 years 3 months ago #5233

• TonyJones
Could be, John - but still raises questions about manufacturers' choice of materials & spare parts policy, not to mention "fitness for purpose" since a rooflight is supposed to be in the sunshine!
It seems mine isn't an isolated case though, so maybe I should look into whether there's somewhere on the PMH website where I can put details of my DIY repair. LIZZIE? KATE?

Mini-Heki DIY repair 3 years 3 months ago #5268

• portchieboy
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry Tony, mistakenly answered the email advice. Silly me! Yes, quite happy for you to respond direct to my email....be good to get it fixed.

Mini-Heki DIY repair 5 months 1 week ago #8785

• YorkieT
  • Fresh Boarder
I realise this a old post but I have the same problem as the OP and would love to know how to repair it, don't really want to spend £80 just because the manufacturer won't supply spare parts!

Please feel free to access my email addy.

Mini-Heki DIY repair 5 months 1 week ago #8788

• YorkieT
  • Fresh Boarder
All sorted. Drilled a tiny hole under the broken plastic peg and used a paper clip to repair it, works a treat and far better than spending £80+ on a new blind ;)
  • Page:

Most recent motorhome reviews