Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Tyre wear

Tyre wear 4 days 13 hours ago #8954

• Parahandy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Every large van I've had since 2001 has had problems with tyre, particularly the rear tyres. There seems to be a wide ranging debate over "proper" pressures and the high cost of campervan tyres but the outcome is still the same, far too many rear tyre blowouts and punctures. I have just had to fork out £440 for 4 new tyres after discovering that I couldn't do a back to front swap because the rear tyres (which looked to be good for another 8 to 10 thousand miles) had got "camber wear" giving them a sloping profile across the tread. The front tyres looked to worth about another 4000 miles on the rear. Given their age (five years and 19000 miles) I decided to bite the bullet and swap them all for new. But why this "camber" wear? The tyre depot manager suggests under inflation but they certainly haven't been under inflated in my ownership since I discovered on a previous vehicle that they should be 5 bar front and 5.5 bar rear. (Not 64 psi which many tyre dealers say is their maximum). The tyres would have failed the next MoT anyway, under the new Regulations, but I would like to hear from other owners of large vans (up to and over 3.5 tonnes) who have experienced problems or curious wear patterns.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most recent motorhome reviews