Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing?

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 1 year 8 months ago #7288

• gjh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
emma1977 wrote:
ah ok, I think i know what you meant. Your website seems pretty good and could quite easily save people a lot of time if looking for an overnight location. How long have you been travelling?
We bought our first van in 2006 and I started the web site shortly afterwards.

Just to clarify, though, my web site gives details of daytime parking locations, not overnight camping. The only reliable list I know of overnight camping places in the UK (apart from licensed caravan sites and exempted sites (Nightstops/CLs/CSs)) is the one maintained by Andy Clarke at UK Motorhomes.

Sites/apps such as Campercontact and Park4night may well be accurate in mainland Europe but contain several inaccuracies in the UK. Those inaccuracies have been there for years in some cases.

One reason I don't licence my POI download set for provision by any sat nav supplier is that people who download it for their own use are then aware of the need to check for updates from time to time and to use the POIs in conjunction with the web site text.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 1 year 7 months ago #7332

• cflatters
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
We use the Garmin 760 LTD which works well for us,

I set the vehicle profile a little larger that my actual MH size and weight

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 1 year 7 months ago #7356

• Inca
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
We had a Tom Tom sat nav which worked fine.......in the car here in the UK.
Where it didn't work fine was in Bavaria, in an almighty thunderstorm, in the dark, whilst towing a trailer with a Smart Car on board..... Oh, did I mention with an irate wife in the passenger seat too ?
Hence, the Tom Tom was confined to a cupboard and replaced with a Garmin 760 LTD which is terrific, even taking into consideration the addition of a Smart car and trailer.
As with the previous member, set the profile a little bigger than your actual unit and it's fine.

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 1 year 3 months ago #7769

• Dunc72
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm considering the Copilot Caravan app, for my smart phone, but am unsure if it is worth £50. I wonder if I would be better spending a bit more on a Garmin or similar. Has anyone tried the Copilot app?

Motorhome specific satnav - is there such a thing? 1 year 3 months ago #7793

• PMM
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
we're thinking of getting the new Garmin caravan st nav camper 770 LMT-D.....we've tried a truck app and can see how advantageous having width and height and other restrictions would be.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by PMM.

Most recent motorhome reviews