Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Overnighting in Pubs

Overnighting in Pubs 3 years 4 months ago #730

• Bluesman
  • Fresh Boarder

Does anyone know where to find an up to date list of Pubs in mainland Britain where one can park overnight and utilise their facilities for a small fee or buy dinner etc. Thinking of touring Norfolk and Suffolk towards end of August. Any info appreciated.
Bluesman

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Overnighting in Pubs 3 years 4 months ago #731

Hi Bluesman

The Practical Motorhome Nightstop scheme currently has 22 pubs and other locations across the UK, including a number in the Norfolk area - you can find a map of all of them by clicking here. The locations listed are approximate; you can get a document that gives full contact details etc by emailing me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

We run the scheme with The Motorcaravanners' Club, and all of our locations are fully licenced, fully legal certificated locations that can accept up to five 'vans each night. You do not have to be a member of the Club or any other scheme to use them - they are open to all – and you are under no obligation to eat or drink in the pub. Charges vary, but most only charge a few pounds and many will reimburse you if you eat or drink in the pub.

I hope that helps - let me know if you've any further queries.

Best wishes
Sarah
Sarah Wakely
Deputy editor, Practical Motorhome

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 8 months ago #732

• neilmac
  • Junior Boarder

If you want a list of pubs in advance of your travel rather than taking a chance and asking at a pub enroute then if you Google 'Pub Stopovers' there are several websites that offer lists of motorhome friendly pubs.

Some charge just for the list and others charge as part of their overall membership.

Either way its nice to have a list in advance so that you'll know where you are going to be stopping at the end of your day's drive.

Cheers,

Neil   -  Follow my Blog at: Motorhoming with NEILMAC

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 8 months ago #734

• gjh
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Deleted, sorry post duplicated

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 8 months ago #733

• gjh
  • Gold Boarder

Beware Google results as they might well be misleading. Many list unlicensed sites which, as a consequence, may have ceased offering facilities since being listed.
To act legally pubs (and any other businesses come to that) must be members of the Practical Motorhome Nightstop scheme, mentioned by Sarah, have another form of exemption certificate or have a fully licensed site.
Graham

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 7 months ago #735

• neilmac
  • Junior Boarder
gjh wrote:
To act legally pubs (and any other businesses come to that) must be members of the Practical Motorhome Nightstop scheme, mentioned by Sarah, have another form of exemption certificate or have a fully licensed site.
Graham
In the real everyday world of motorhoming do you really think that in order to stay overnight at a pub it has to be as you suggest?

If a publican is happy that you overnight in his/her carpark then that's what you do....

Cheers,

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 7 months ago #736

• TonyJones
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 9

I'm surprised the law is as strict as that, but Graham has done a lot of work on motorhome parking so I defer to him.
Seems odd though - I'd have thought that, given the pub car park is (a) private land and (b) already legal to use for parking, all that should be needed is the owner's permission. Still, our law doesn't ALWAYS follow common sense!
Voluntary Moderator
Home-from-home: 2008 Horizons Unlimited Cavarno, Ford Transit SWB
"If God had intended us to fly, He wouldn't have given us motorhomes!"

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 7 months ago #737

• gjh
  • Gold Boarder

The law is quite clear. As soon as anyone brings a caravan (including a motorhome/motor caravan/camper van) onto a piece of land for the purpose of human habitation (rather than simply parking or storage) the land becomes a caravan site. See www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/act1960.htm for a summary.
Does it have to be that way in the real everyday world of motorhoming? Probably, yes. It's one thing for landlords to allow people to stop on an ad hoc basis but when facilities start to become advertised as if they are legal then I fear that it won't be too long before the relevant authorities start to notice, prosecutions are mounted and everybody loses.
As the PMH scheme shows, complying with the legislation can be achieved very simply so there is really no excuse to do otherwise.
Graham

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 7 months ago #738

• TonyJones
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 9

Thanks for the heads-up on that Graham.
Shame our govt don't have the same mentality as the French, where a parked vehicle is just a parked vehicle, no matter what's going on inside it!
But given the law as it is, I'm even more glad of CL/CS networks - and of course Sarah's "Nightstop" scheme!
Voluntary Moderator
Home-from-home: 2008 Horizons Unlimited Cavarno, Ford Transit SWB
"If God had intended us to fly, He wouldn't have given us motorhomes!"

Overnighting in Pubs 2 years 7 months ago #739

• neilmac
  • Junior Boarder
gjh wrote:
The law is quite clear. As soon as anyone brings a caravan (including a motorhome/motor caravan/camper van) onto a piece of land for the purpose of human habitation (rather than simply parking or storage) the land becomes a caravan site. See www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/act1960.htm for a summary.
Does it have to be that way in the real everyday world of motorhoming? Probably, yes. It's one thing for landlords to allow people to stop on an ad hoc basis but when facilities start to become advertised as if they are legal then I fear that it won't be too long before the relevant authorities start to notice, prosecutions are mounted and everybody loses.
As the PMH scheme shows, complying with the legislation can be achieved very simply so there is really no excuse to do otherwise.
Graham

I too would defer to your knowledge on the subject Graham. However motorhomers will use pubs as stopovers where available regardless of the 50 odd year old caravan act. Until there is some sort of Aires equivalent in the UK.

As long as the publican gives permission and as far as I am aware it is they who have to comply with the regs, not the motorhomer.

The websites I was referring to (and I have a vested interest as one of them is my own) provide lists of known motorhome friendly pubs - at least thats what mine does. We don't claim to have an official 'scheme' and in all cases the pubs need to be contacted before arrival in case there has been any change in the pubs ownership, policy etc.

So in effect each visiting motorhomer has their own 'adhoc' arrangement with the pub.

The main advantage of such lists is that the pubs locations (GPS, GoogleMap with StreetView, telephone numbers, address, email and website if available) are known in advance.

Cheers,

Most recent motorhome reviews